A Night Of Jazz

Lluvia Carrisoza, Visual Media Editor

The NEIU community was offered a night of Jazz On Thursday, Feb. 16th, featuring NEIU Jazz combos with Mayo Tiana on the Trombone and Tuesday’s Children.
The event jumped off with NEIU’s Jazz combos. The Jazz combos, just like the name suggests, are different combinations of different artists that play together. The Jazz combos are always different and this night Mayo Tiana was on the trombone.
Tuesday’s Children is made up of Katie Yee on the violin, Robert Alonzo on the trumpet, Tammy Worl on the piano and vocals; Conner Hollingsworth playing double bass and both Stephen Kentala and Brian Hughey on drums. Tuesday’s Children is a band that gets together on Tuesdays and that’s where the name came from.
The audience enjoyed music from the likes of Duke Ellington, Frank Rosolino and Johnny Mercer. Not only was the music selection great, but all the artists were phenomenal. At a moment I felt as if I was transported back in the early 1900’s listening to the jazz masters of the era.
These guys are a great band and all of them are super-talented. I could not believe how fast Connor Hollingsworth’s hands were moving at some points. But, not only are they talented, they all seem to enjoy what they are doing and that’s what really holds an audience captive. To top it all off – the event was free, like the majoprity of student recitals.
So, if you like jazz, you cannot miss the next NEIU Jazz Combos concert which will take place on Wednesday March 7 at 7:30 in the auditorium.

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2012
Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2012 00:02