Learning Support Center – Tutoring, Teaching, and More…

Lluvia Carrisoza, Visual Media Editor

During the Fall 2011 semester, the Math lab, the Writing lab and the Learning Center came together and formed the new NEIU Learning Center. Through this consolidation, the Learning Center offers students the ability to find all the learning support they might need in one place. Located in the 4th floor of the library, the center is run by Katherine Gleiss, Director with the help of Christine Larsen, acting assistant director. The center has 26 subject tutors, 17 writing tutors, and 10 math tutors. These tutors are highly trained and are handpicked based on their GPA and recommendations from faculty members. The center also has a number of specialists on staff, including reading specialist Ellen Tieran, learning specialist Bryan Brady, math specialist Mark Martindale, and writing specialist Borislava Quaintance.
According to Katherine Gleiss, the Director of the Learning Center, the center focuses on tutoring, improving academic skills, and making learning engaging for students in order for them to be more successful in their college career. Another aim of the Learning Center is to facilitate the formation of student study groups to engage students in peer- to-peer tutoring.
However, the Center is more than just a place for tutoring. It is a place for NEIU students to familiarize themselves with the vital learning strategies that will get them through college successfully. Students can learn to achieve by developing intellectually positive habits that manage time effectively,
by associating their educational material with memorable and relatable examples, as well as gaining insight from more experienced peers that can facilitate a broader understanding of the subject matter. The Learning Center regularly hosts seminars that are free for students such as tutorials on Microsoft programs, educational success strategies and more.
Although the statistics for the Fall 2011 semester haven’t been compiled, the fact that the Learning Center booked over five thousand tutoring sessions since its conception speaks well for the consolidation of the various learning and tutoring programs. However, the real achievements of the Learning Center are seen only in the NEIUport accounts of the students who utilized it; the improvement to their grades, GPA, and self-esteem. The Learning Center is a great tool for NEIU students, not only for those that are on academic probation or have a hard time in classes, but for those that want to get A’s and B’s in all their classes. They have the following free seminars scheduled in the upcoming weeks: ‘Introduction to Microsoft Excel’ on Feb. 16, ‘Reading Strategies for College Learning’ on March 13, and ‘Assessing Your Comprehension for Finals’ on April 19.
To schedule a tutoring session, call the Learning Center at 773-442-4568 or visit them in 4th floor of the library. The center is opened Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am- 8:00 pm and Friday from 8:30-5:00 pm.

Published: Monday, February 6, 2012
Updated: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 01:02